Bob and Chris talk with Megan and Isaac Wardell, who shepherd a Christian music collaborative out of Charlottesville, VA made up of dozens of musicians, theologians, pastors, and faith leaders from many places and traditions. In 2017 they released the project’s debut album, Work Songs, about vocation. Last week came the follow-up Neighbor Songs. This diverse musical collection is the product of a beautiful and challenging gathering exploring themes of hospitality in and across difference, disability, gender, race, theology, and tradition. You’ll be treated to these sacred sounds built in the Church from and for the life of the world.
The Porter’s Gate was founded in 2017 by Isaac and Megan Wardell, with a mission to be a “porter” for the Christian Church – one who looks beyond church doors for guests to welcome. Isaac also works as Director of Worship Arts at Trinity Church in Charlottesville, Virginia. It started as a group of 50-plus songwriters, musicians, scholars, pastors and music industry professionals from a variety of worship traditions and cultural backgrounds gathered for meaningful conversation about worship and vocation. The result was the release of Work Songs.
In January of this year, the collective gathered again over three days for a series of discussions about the challenges of worshipping across lines of difference. This group consisted of Christians from all theological backgrounds, denominations, worship traditions, as well as cultural and racial difference. As they discussed challenges, they composed new worship songs and hymns with the hope of providing the church with more songs that specifically celebrate God’s call to love our neighbors as ourselves.
Tracklisting (featured in bold):
1. Blessed Are The Merciful
2. Nothing to Fear (feat. Audrey Assad)
3. The Earth Shall Know (feat. Casey J, Leslie Jordan & Urban Doxology)
4. Love Will Never Fail (I Corinthians 13) (feat. Leslie Jordan)
5. Let Us Be Known (feat. Diana Gameros)
6. The Greatest Commandment (feat. Paul Zach)
7. Daughters of Zion (feat. Casey J & Josh Garrels)
8. Hallelujah Sing (feat. Latifah Alattas & Audrey Assad)
9. Jesus, Bread of Life (feat. Diana Gameros)
10. He Is Among Us (The Least of These) (feat. Zach Bolen)
11. Teach Us Your Ways (feat. Leslie Jordan)
12. Daughters of Zion (Reprise) (feat. Paul Zach and Lauren Goans)
13. En Comunidad (feat. Diana Gameros)
Episode edited by Chris Breslin.